This is amazing. Seriously. I know I use that word a lot but I love this. Started soon after the hurricanes in New Orleans, Dear World has just exploded onto the planet – and as the people in the know say, if you haven’t heard about yet, you soon will. I think this would be a beautiful graduation gift from my class as they depart for the unknown that is Middle School. Awaiting permission from the artist to steal his concept and then to challenge my kids to leave their legacy, share their wisdom, make their mark and state their piece. Beautiful. What would you say?
Day: April 8, 2012
In Memory – Ten Things Pablo Picasso Can Teach Us
If he were alive today, Pablo Picasso would be 130 years old. 39 years ago, Picasso passed away but has left an amazing legacy. As I sifted through a google search of “Picasso Quotations” I was reminded of why he is, and always will be, one of my favorites. If you have not done so, a read through of “When Piggaso Met Mootise” would be a great way to share the two fauves with kids. It is a well read book from my homeroom and art teacher collection of books.
The more I read about 21st century education and the more I read from great educators, such as Picasso, the more I wonder if we have been really listening all these years or simply ‘talking past each other’? I love sharing all the things I find but the more I look and read and search and find, the more I am urged to do, to act, to…..something! And it would seem Pablo would agree! On the anniversary of his death, he is still, as always, an inspiration.
Pablo in bold. Sonya in italics.
- Action is the foundational key to all success. See! Action. Doing. Creating. Making. I just have to figure out what! Where does your motivation come from? What is simmering away on your ‘action’ burner? What are you doing? Or, why aren’t you doing it?
- Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Nothing like art to open your eyes to new things. I love this graphic (below) as a reminder of looking for the beauty in the everyday with a sense of wonder. I sure want to live in the overlap!
- Bad artists copy. Good artists steal. My hope is to teach kids in my class to steal well. To steal things worth stealing and to make things worth stealing. To be inspired.
- Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. See point one. Act. Do. Make. Create. Repeat.
- Every act of creation is first an act of destruction. I love this one. Break stuff, see how it works, make it better. Who doesn’t love to pull something apart? If you have a kid like this, How Stuff Works will be their new nirvana.
- I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Love this too. Need to do it more and to help my kids do it more too.
- Love is the greatest refreshment in life. All we need, right? Get up and go hug yours. (Then come back and keep reading please)
- Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone. Again, see point one. The laundry can wait but what about……?
- Others have seen what is and asked why. I have seen what could be and asked why not. Exactly.
- Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success. There’s the call to action again. Is he trying to tell us something, perhaps?