I am a big believer in “Process over Product”. I have posted about this before. It would appear I am not alone (thankfully!).
Here’s what Austin has to say about the book:
Show Your Work! will teach you how to think about your work as a never-ending process, how to build an audience by sharing that process, and how to deal with the ups and downs of putting yourself and your work out in the world. Whether you’re an artist or an entrepreneur, a student or a teacher, a hobbyist or a professional, it’s time to stop worrying and start sharing. – Austin Kleon
Putting yourself and your work out into the world. Something else I have posted about. I think Austin and I would be good friends.
Here is a very cool “flip through” of his book (Austin flips through the book in 6 seconds of awesome! Can’t make it embed here so do click the link!).
But, why do I care? Why is this whole post dedicated to getting you to think about the concept of ‘Showing Your Work’? Well, as with “steal”, Austin is going to share 10 ways you can SHARE like an artist:
His book will expand on these ten points but here’s my take:
- You don’t have to be a genius – you just have to be passionate, honest, genuine, and operating with only the best intentions.
- Process, process, process – HOW do you do what you do? WHY do you do what you do?
- SHARE – we all get richer when we bounce off each others ideas.
- Did I mention you should share? I think this also means you should ask great questions.
- Don’t just babble on – make your stories worth listening to.
- One of my favorite quotes is from Tony Wagner: “No one cares what you know, they care about what you will DO with what you know.” Teaching others is a great start.
- If you don’t have anything good to say…..no one likes a spammer.
- Remember, all the world is a stage – but not everyone is going to be your biggest fan.
- Sell Out….I am sure there is a double meaning here! I am curious to read where he is going with this one!
- Stick around – no one really becomes an ‘overnight’ success. And even when you are not sure you are making a difference, by putting your honest art out there, you are. Trust me.
Can’t wait to read it!