As part of my COETAIL course, I took on the assignment to redesign my resume in an infographic style. I already had a fairly unique looking resume (it is still up on my Resume page but will be archived soon) but I wanted to get it down to a single page. After many revisions, here is the latest version:
Sonya terBorg – Resume (PDF)
My thoughts on this version:
- I like the little icons (thanks Noun Project!) as I think they add a clean visual to the document
- I like the photo of me and my daughter as it shows a very important part of who I am without me having to articulate that I am a mom
- I like the QR code link to my personal blog
- Creating the ‘bar graph’ of things I believe in was actually really hard – the ranking of items – and I liked that this gave me the opportunity to reflect on what was important to me, philosophically
- I am on the fence with the L/R Brain although I do like the idea of this. I just took an online quiz and that was the result and so I took the key words from the test analysis and created the little graphic.
- I really like the “Let me help you” and “Hire me” titles (this idea ‘remixed from #23 on this list) and these titles helped me to focus on what I wanted to say about my skills and my purpose
- I thought the timeline was an easy way to see where I have been although it does make it clear how much I jump around!
- I really wanted to keep the concentric circles but I modified the wordiness of them and refined my purpose.
I have spent so long looking at elements of good design that it really was hard to narrow this down. I think the resume looks good (it is entirely done in Pages, btw, as I wanted to try not using anything ‘fancy’ but to see if I could create something in a fairly standard program). I do think I will also create a ‘slick professional’ resume that is less infographic-ish.
I think this would stand out in a pile of resumes – I just hope for the right reasons and not because the recruiter wanted to be sure to not take a second look! I think I would like to partner this resume with an online profile such as the one I am working on at about.me and I updated a previous one that I had created at re.vu